Tooth decay (dental caries) is the most common oral health problem. In fact, it is one of the most common diseases in the world, especially among adolescents and senior citizens. According to CDC (centers for disease control) 20 percent of adults over the age of 65 have untreated tooth decay, and 96 percent have had at least one cavity in their lifetimes. That means nearly everyone will need dental fillings at some point. Fortunately, the procedure is fast and comfortable, with several options available at DENTONAL Dental Clinic in Antalya, Turkey.
About The Dental Filling Procedure
“Are dental fillings painful?” That is the first question many people ask. With our gentle and precise techniques, the answer is, “no.” The procedure is completed in one appointment, and it takes just a few steps:
- Comfort – At DENTONAL Dental Clinic, your comfort comes first, quite literally. The first step of the procedure is numbing the area to ensure painless treatment. We also offer sedation (sleep dentistry) for those who find dental treatment stressful or frightening.
- Preparation – Your dentist will remove the diseased and damaged portion of the tooth. The area is cleaned and shaped for optimal filling retention.
- Tooth filling – The dental filling material is placed directly in the cavity and shaped to match the contours of your tooth.
Types Of Dental Fillings
During your consultation, we will discuss options and answer your questions so that you can decide what is right for you. There are two choices:
- Cosmetic composite fillings – These are made from a metal-free resin material, which is colored to precisely match tooth enamel. Your tooth will look whole and natural once the procedure is complete; no one will ever guess you had a cavity. This is the most popular choice for a front tooth filling.
- Silver amalgam filling – These are made from a metal alloy, which looks silver when first placed. Over time the filling may darken and become blackish. Most people do not want amalgam fillings in visible areas for cosmetic reasons. However, they have the advantage of being stronger than composite, and generally lasting longer.