Our team at DENTONAL Dental Clinic are committed to helping our patients enjoy optimal oral health and avoid painful dental problems.
Routine Dental Care
Your routine 3months, or 4months or bi-annual hygiene appointment, known as prophylaxis, is a cornerstone of preventive dentistry. Regular exams and cleanings are necessary for everyone, especially people with physical or cognitive conditions that make home care challenging. This visit includes:
- Examination to check for signs of cavities, oral cancer, gum disease, and other problems
- Teeth cleaning and polishing
- Discussion about any issues that we find, advice for home care, educating oral hygiene and answering any questions you may have
Dental Deep Cleaning
In some cases, routine cleaning is not enough. The deep cleaning procedure is a periodontal treatment, also known as scaling and root planing, that removes plaque and tartar below the gum line. It also includes smoothing the surfaces of tooth roots, which helps inflamed gums heal. Your dentist may recommend this procedure if you have signs of gum disease.
The procedure typically takes from one to two hours. Depending on the acuteness of your condition, you may need several treatments. There are two steps in deep cleaning:
- Scaling – The first step in healing gum disease is removing plaque and tartar buildup. Ultrasonic teeth cleaning technology uses sonic vibrations to break loose tartar quickly and gently. If needed, your dentist may use manual instruments to remove any remaining buildup.
- Root planing – Plaque buildup and periodontal disease can damage the surface of tooth roots, creating rough areas that contribute to gum inflammation. Root planing smooths and polishes the surface, helping to eliminate infection and allow reattachment of gum tissue.